Tuesday, October 27, 2009

NYC - UWS: The San Remo


NYC - UWS: The San Remo
Originally uploaded by wallyg
If my memory serves me correctly, I went to a party in one these suites in the autumn of 1960. Let me just say, the name sounds mighty familiar, and the bit about the terraces. Yes, it had to be the San Remo. It all began when I arrived in Times Square. I was sitting in a Greek Restauraunt eating spahetti. That was my first clue that there was something less than normal about Times Square. Too, the newstands were less than traditional. Let me put it this way--the magazines laid out were different than the ones in Kansas City. So, I was sitting there eating spaghetti...and, well, it turned out to be a whirling, spinning time that included such places as the Pepperment Lounge, Mama Leone's restaurant and more martinis than I had ever sipped in my life.

NYC - UWS: The San Remo
The San Remo, a luxury co-operative apartment at 145-146 Central Park West, was designed by Emery Roth in 1939. Construction began weeks before the Great Depression. In the 1970s, the San Remo converted toa coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment