Friday, March 13, 2009

Spooky Operation


Spooky Operation
Originally uploaded by Missiz Beasley
THE SPOOKY OPERATION
photo by Missiz Beasley...fiction by Earl R. Stonebridge

It was supposed to be a simple operation, really. I recall that the face above me was not the friendly face of old Doctor Brown, the family doctor for years. When I started to protest, I felt hands holding me down, restraining me from leaping up and demanding to know what was happening. As I drifted off into a weak netherland, I vaguely remember hearing several of those in the cold operating room chuckling. I recall a man with a strange accent saying, something about training women to perform battlefield surgery in order to preserve certain organs. That was the moment when I felt a thin and very sharp pain. When I awoke a few hours later, I found myself in an austere and plain room. From my bed, I could see what looked like the familiar onion-shaped domes and spires of a famous chuch in Moscow....

No comments:

Post a Comment