Wednesday, February 3, 2010

ESSAY ABOUT THOMPSONS AND ENERGY

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES: UNCLE JIM AND AUNT DORT

My Uncle Jim and I on the stonewall at Grandfather Hawthornes. From the time my uncle and aunt took me out of the city's home for orphans when I was around three years of age, I lived with them until I turned eighteen. The first few years were spent with Grandmother and Grandfather Hawthorne. We moved down the street from the Hawthornes into a home owned by Doctor Frank Day in 1948. I still recall the joy of having my own room. We did not have television, but somebody bought me my own radio and I was able to listen to all of the good old radio programs that many people my age still chatter about for hours. My favorite radio programs were Gangbusters, Sky King, The Lone Ranger and My Friend Irma. Oh, there were others, too many to reall at a moments notice, but I will say that it was radio that enabled me to envision scenes in my imagination that are much akin to a gallery of slides or photos, on file and ready for an immediate recall whenever I want to remember. Frankly, I'm glad I didn't have a television to keep me company. But more about the radio days in another posting. For the moment, my hat is off to my Uncle Jim for treating me like his own son, may he rest in peace. Uncle Jim passed away in the late summer of 1984. Not a day passes that I do not remember him.

No comments:

Post a Comment