Tuesday, June 30, 2009

SHOULD THEY BE INVESTIGATED?

NO MORE WINE-TASTING PARTIES FOR ME, NO WAY, NO HOW...
ILLUSTRATION OF WINE-TASTING Party By R.L. Huffstutter,
Story by Velma Raye Doolittle

How in the hell am I always so damned lucky? That's what my first husband kept saying after he found out his favorite aunt died and left her fortune to his twin brother and not one damned cent to him. "Life sucks," he said as he vacuumed those little white ass things that fly all over hell when you blow on them, dandelions after they bloom. He hated dandelions with a passion once they turned into that stage. Sure, he was weird, a real nut, really, but he did like dandelions when they were like yellow flower things. But anyway, about his A-hole twin brother, Marty. Once Marty inherited all his aunt's money, he promised Arty, my first husband, that he would make sure he got his share of the fortune. That pleased Arty. Marty was the older of the two and he always looked up at his older brother. I mean, like the A-hole was four minutes older. Big deal, right? Not really. What an A-hole. I told Arty that he shouldn't count on the money until he had it in his hot little hands. Anyway, it is all history now. I mean, like it is over between Arty and I and the last I heard Marty had bought a vineyard up in the Sonoma Valley. Or maybe it was the Napa valley. His big kick in life was to bottle cheap wine, a wine that cost hardly nothing but tasted good. Both of the brothers had been raised by parents who had been winos. Seriously, I used to listed to their dad lay around and talk about how great life was back in the days when he could buy a fifth of Cold Duck for less than a dollar. Now he was one worthless and shiftless piece of crude, that dad of theirs. He too had once had money; he squandered it on a chain of trailer courts in the late 6Os. But that's another story. So, about wine-tasting parties, the whole essence of this writing? Why won't I go to any more of them? Right, you can't wait to find out, right? I mean like the suspense is killing you, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment